April 24, 2008
As a way of promoting our winning designers (of whom we are very proud), we have added a section on the Find Contests page listing designers who have recently won a contest. Check it out at tell us what you think!
April 23, 2008
We have just deployed another minor release with some improvements you guys have been asking for:
- Improved contest brief stylings
- Less light grey text
- Private message link in the top right is highlighted when you have messages
- Increased line spacing across the site
- Improved some styles around the place
It has come to our attention that there is a problem uploading designs in Opera. We are working on a fix.
Stay tuned for some exciting changes to how contests are run, which will hopefully mean less abandoned contests.
April 11, 2008
SitePoint has published an interview with Xavier, the designer that we worked with for most of the 99designs site.
Check it out, it’s an interesting read.
April 9, 2008
We have just uploaded another release containing emails to let designers know they have new feedback and also the image preview system that we used in the previous design.
Let us know what you think about the image previews, they are particularly useful in the feedback links, as the design links (e.g #34, #124) show a preview of the entry in question.
Additional tweaks and bug fixes:
- Withdrawn entries are no longer displayed on the Designer pages, this is the first in a series of fixes that will ensure that withdrawn entries aren’t available in any shape or form.
- Watchlist now has a remove checkbox!
- A variety of minor bug fixes
April 4, 2008
Well, the last blog post certainly was popular. It’s been a busy 24 hours, but I think a productive one. A special thanks to everyone who gave us clear, well thought out feedback, it makes it much easier to implement! The list of changes deployed today:
- A more muted shade of orange (for those of you that don’t wear sunglasses)
- Improved images on the front page, contest page and profile page
- Restructured the “My Contests” page, moved Watched Contests to the top and linked Entered Contests directly to designer pages
- Improved contest search
- Rejected entries are shown in contest listings, but greyed out
- Added a list of categories as links under Find Contests, with a page for each category
- Added payment methods to Contest Brief
- Fixed a bug where contest times were displayed incorrectly
- Fixed a bug where ratings didn’t work
- Fixed a bug where IE7 users couldn’t leave comments
Things coming soon:
- Improvements in the My Watchlist, ability to edit the title and remove entries from the list easily
- Crumbtrails in Contest pages and Designer Pages
- Improved formatting in the briefs, specifically ones where contest holders pasted from MS Word
- Much, much more.
That said, it is now the weekend in Australia. Think it might be time for our first full day off since February. Enjoy your weekends!
April 3, 2008
The new site is alive! Some things to look out for:
- Conversation between Contest Holders and Designers is now per-designer, not per entry.
- My Shortlist has been replaced by My Watchlist, under My Contests in My Account
- My Contests now lives under My Account
- Improved documentation and help
- Neat looking designer/contest pages
- Recent events under My Account
- Improved search
- AJAX goodness
The new site is running off new different technical infrastructure too, which will ironically result in things being much faster once everything has warmed up. In the meantime, bear with a little bit of slowness, things will level out within the hour.
Let us know what you think!
P.S. If you need a contest extension due to the downtime, please contact support via email@example.com and include your username and contest url.
April 2, 2008
We are launching the new site within the next 24 hours, don’t be alarmed if you log in and the site looks brighter than it used to :)
Update #1: The site will be down for approx. 1 hour, from 12pm melbourne time.
Update #2: The migration was pushed back a little – we’ll be back on the air by 3pm Melbourne time.